This site is intended for health professionals only
Home > Practice business finance modules > Practice business finance > Five steps risk profiling des
Other Practice Business & Finance modules
The new GMC prescribing guidance (1 CPD hour)
5 steps to becoming a teaching practice (1 CPD hour)
Dr Adam Woo on red flags for spinal pathology, managing medications for back pain and screening tools for primary care
Dr Heather Ryan suggests how practices can attract GPs to join as partners during or just after training
Dr Dominique Thompson on diagnostic criteria for anorexia, managing ‘borderline’ cases and investigations in bulimic patients
Five steps to planning the risk profiling DES
Dr Eithne Cummins gives a simple guide to attempting the risk profiling DES
This module advises you on five steps to plan for the risk profiling DES, covering:
- contacting your CCG
- running a risk profiling tool to identify high-risk patients
- identifying team leads
- scheduling meetings
- creating a template for Read codes
After reading the article, you will be asked to record your learning points and plan some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some areas you might want to reflect on as you work through the module.
- Has your practice costed undertaking the DES? If not, try reading Dr Cummins’ article, DESs 2013/4: Which are worth doing and which aren't to get an impression of whether the available income outweighs the work involved.
- Has your CCG told you which risk profiling tool you are required to use for this DES? Do you know what the priority long-term condition is for your CCG? (If not, have you looked at admission rates for likely conditions such as COPD, falls, heart failure etc). How does your CCG plan to collate information from practices? What kind of return mechanism do they intend to use? If they haven’t told you, have you asked your medical director, CCG representative and Chief Operating Officer?
- How could you tweak Dr Cummins’ plan to suit your practice and local community teams?
Dr Eithne Cummins is a GP partner in Sheffield.