This site is intended for health professionals only
Other Practice Business & Finance modules
The new GMC prescribing guidance (1 CPD hour)
Five steps to planning the risk profiling DES (1 CPD hour)
Dr Adam Woo on red flags for spinal pathology, managing medications for back pain and screening tools for primary care
Dr Heather Ryan suggests how practices can attract GPs to join as partners during or just after training
Dr Dominique Thompson on diagnostic criteria for anorexia, managing ‘borderline’ cases and investigations in bulimic patients
Ten ways GPs can pass the baton
Dr Matt Burkes and Dr Michael Banna advise on areas of work that GPs can hand over and who to give them to.
This module will update you on:
- Arranging staff for home visits
- Saving time on collating QOF data
- Getting admin staff to run audits
After reading this article you will be asked to record your learning points and some action points to earn a suggested 1 CPD credit. Below are some suggested questions to reflect on as you work through the module:
- What is your visit workload? How many visits could be delegated to other staff eg community nurse?
- Have you considered the role a pharmacist might play in your practice? Should you discuss with your colleagues whether to apply to get involved in the ‘Clinical Pharmacists in General Practice’ pilot?
- Have you audited or analysed your repeat prescribing system recently? Could more of the work be delegated to administrative staff?
- Should you adopt a policy of asking patients to chase up their own hospital appointments/queries? How can you effectively promote/publicise this?
- Should you consider an analysis of other admin workload to explore what else might be delegated eg QOF, summarising and coding, audits and so on.
Dr Matt Burkes is a GP in Chichester and Dr Michael Banna is a GP in Bognor Regis, West Sussex