This site is intended for health professionals only
Other Musculoskeletal medicine modules
Key questions on fibromyalgia (1.5 CPD hours)
Guideline debrief: osteoarthritis (2 CPD hours)
Professor Mike Bennett, consultant in palliative medicine, and Dr Chris Kane, specialty registrar, answer questions from Dr Melanie Wynne-Jones on the WHO analgesic ladder, adjuvant medication and self-help strategies
This case-based module will guide you through the latest evidence in the diagnosis and management of stroke and TIA.
Dr Tang Ngee Shim and Dr Andrew Ilchyshyn, consultant dermatologists, on corticosteroids, the impact of biologics on infections in primary care, and occupational risks for psoriasis patients
Top tips in musculoskeletal care: a video module
GP and primary care lead at Arthritis Research UK, Dr Tom Margham's quick guide to key recent research and practice developments in low back pain, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
To provide a concise update on the key recent research and practice developments in:
- low back pain
- rheumatoid arthritis
Dr Margham gave this talk at Pulse Live which took place in May 2013 and the studies he covers are listed below- with links to download the papers for reference:
- Amonkar SJ, Dunbar AM. Do patients and general practitioners have different perceptions about the management of simple mechanical back pain? Int Musculoskelet Med 2011 Mar;33(1):3-7.
- Behrend C, Prasarn M, Coyne E et al. Smoking cessation related to improved patient-reported pain scores following spinal care. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2012 Dec 05;94(23):2161-2166
- Iversen T, Solberg TK, Romner B et al. Effect of caudal epidural steroid or saline injection in chronic lumbar radiculopathy: multicentre, blinded, randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2011 Sep;343:d5278.
- Pisters MF, Veenhof C, Schellevis FG, Twisk JW, Dekker J, De Bakker DH. Exercise adherence improving long-term patient outcome in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip and/or knee. Arthritis Care Res 2010 Aug;62(8):1087-94.
- McHugh GA, Campbell M and Luker KA. GP referral of patients with osteoarthritis for consideration of total joint replacement: a longitudinal study. Br J Gen Pract 2011 Aug;61(589):e459-68.
You can also download the Arthritis Research UK self-help guide Living with long-term pain - a guide to self-management.
The powerpoint slides will cycle through automatically as the video plays, but if you are interested in a particular aspect of the presentation, use the arrow buttons at the bottom of the screen to navigate through the slides, simply click on the slide you are interested in and you will be taken to the relevant part of the video.
After viewing the video, you will complete a multiple-choice assessment to test the knowledge you have gained. You will then have the opportunity to record your personal learning points and claim your CPD credits, which will be recorded on a certificate stored automatically in your Pulse Learning CPD log.