This site is intended for health professionals only
Other Musculoskeletal medicine modules
Top tips in musculoskeletal care: a video module (1 CPD hour)
Guideline debrief: osteoarthritis (2 CPD hours)
Dr Olwen Jones on whether self-taken genital swabs are acceptable in teenagers, speculum examinations in pregnancy and treating recurrent thrush
Consultant cardiologist Dr Angus Nightingale and clinical research fellow Dr Thomas Hinton on blood pressure monitoring, contraindications to general anaesthesia and what blood pressure targets GPs should be aiming for.
Dr Simon Stockley advises on key warning signs for sepsis and referring cases to secondary care
Key questions on fibromyalgia
Consultant rheumatologist Dr Selwyn Richards answers GP Dr Mandy Fry's queries on fibromyalgia in general practice.
This module will update your knowledge on fibromyalgia, including issues such as:
- Diagnosing fibromyalgia using the American College of Rheumatology criteria
- Examining the 18 potential trigger points in a patient
- Prescribing amitriptyline to help with pain and sleep
- Managing flares of pain by switching from one moderately powerful opiate analgesic to another
- Distinguishing fibromyalgia from chronic fatigue syndrome
- Advising patients on complementary therapies
- Engaging patients in psychological therapies
This module was updated on the 31 August 2012 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 30 August 2014 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Dr Selwyn Richards is consultant rheumatologist for Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Mandy Fry is a GP in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, and senior primary care lecturer at Oxford Brookes University