This site is intended for health professionals only
Other Musculoskeletal medicine modules
Top tips in musculoskeletal care: a video module (1 CPD hour)
Guideline debrief: osteoarthritis (2 CPD hours)
Professor Mike Bennett, consultant in palliative medicine, and Dr Chris Kane, specialty registrar, answer questions from Dr Melanie Wynne-Jones on the WHO analgesic ladder, adjuvant medication and self-help strategies
This case-based module will guide you through the latest evidence in the diagnosis and management of stroke and TIA.
Dr Tang Ngee Shim and Dr Andrew Ilchyshyn, consultant dermatologists, on corticosteroids, the impact of biologics on infections in primary care, and occupational risks for psoriasis patients
Key questions on fibromyalgia
Consultant rheumatologist Dr Selwyn Richards answers GP Dr Mandy Fry's queries on fibromyalgia in general practice.
This module will update your knowledge on fibromyalgia, including issues such as:
- Diagnosing fibromyalgia using the American College of Rheumatology criteria
- Examining the 18 potential trigger points in a patient
- Prescribing amitriptyline to help with pain and sleep
- Managing flares of pain by switching from one moderately powerful opiate analgesic to another
- Distinguishing fibromyalgia from chronic fatigue syndrome
- Advising patients on complementary therapies
- Engaging patients in psychological therapies
This module was updated on the 31 August 2012 and was up to date with all key guidelines and evidence at that point. It will be reviewed as part of our routine update cycle by 30 August 2014 but will be updated sooner to reflect any key guideline changes.
Dr Selwyn Richards is consultant rheumatologist for Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Mandy Fry is a GP in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, and senior primary care lecturer at Oxford Brookes University